May 13th

Aargh, very little time in the garage recently, due to one thing or another. So I'm afraid this is going to be a 'bitty' entry, covering things I've managed to do over the last fortnight...

Most of the stuff from Europa has now arrived - I'm still waiting for the Telemetrix tacho and the harnesses (though I changed the order yesterday to 2" rather than 3" straps after seeing the 3" straps in a Westie Megablade at Stoneleigh). I also got myself some dark grey vinyl at Stoneleigh to cover the dash with. While on the subject of Stoneleigh, it was fantastic weather, with a really good Rush owners club turnout. Next year... :-)

As for what I've done on the car? Like I said, not a lot. The propshaft's fitted, the dashboard is trimmed to fit the scuttle better, the steering's been finished off, and main task for this weekend (after tidying/vacuuming the garage after the GRP excesses of the last few weeks), which was to cut holes for the reverse/fog lamps in the tub, so they're almost flush (though angled to be vertical). Having done that (and Wurthed the lenses into position), I took the manifold off the engine, so I can line up the scuttle, bonnet and nose in order to determine the correct position for the scuttle. Couldn't resist taking the valley gasket out to have a peek at that point, and also to swap the rocker covers over so that the oil intake is at the back (to fit under the bonnet line).

I've also finally given in and decided that there really aren't any wheels that match up to the looks and suitability of the Images, so I'll take a deep breath and order a set of the RS7 ones tomorrow. Also, I've requested my SVA form, and tried (without much success) to get TVR to age-verify my engine. They know they built it, but don't have records going back far enough... Fortunately, the previous owner is sending me some docs that should be adequate. Phew!

It's a picture like Duncan's picture that was like my picture! That's not my numberplate! Lovely clean

May 20th

Hmm, an expensive weekend... Having tried to line the scuttle/bonnet/nose up a few times during the week, I'd come to the conclusion that something was screwy somewhere, as the bonnet was too short. But, to move the scuttle forwards from the place stated in the (sometimes inaccurate) manual, or try and figure out how to move the nosecone back (which it didn't seem keen to do)? I decided to go down to Dax on saturday morning to do some measuring on the demonstrator...

From talking to Gary, and crawling over the demonstrator with a tape measure, it seems that the scuttle should be a tad forward (should be 1" forwards of the back of the chassis rail, which would be the same as the 'flush with the front of the rail' that it says in the manual, but they used 3/4" tube...), and the nosecone needs 'trimming' round the moulding where it goes over the suspension mount, as that's slightly lower on the Sierra-fronted chassis than on the Cortina one. With this sorted, Simon told me that my exhausts were in, so that was a wallop in the wallet. Just about to leave, I asked how long the carpeting would be, to be told that oh yes, that was in too. Another wallop. Still, it's got to be paid for at some point...

And that's about all I got done this weekend, other than putting loctite on the propshaft bolts. Oh, and Tim's right - the exhausts are all one piece now, as Dax had problems with the collector blowing (as did I with the Tiger), so they welded it up. It'll certainly make it interesting when it comes to cutting the holes in the side panels. Partly because of that, and partly because the pipes seem to come out at different angles now, rather than in a straight line as before...